Is Your Career Aligned with How You’re Wired?

Target with job in the center ring
Most of us have felt pressured at some point to provide a convincing and enthusiastic answer to the question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” And, some of us have an easier time answering that question than others! Yielding to the Pressure to Choose a Career Path In a recent TED Talk, “Why Some of Us Don't Have One True Calling,” Emilie Wapnick, a career coach, w...
Read More

You May Have to Battle for Meaning in Your Career

Woman holding boxing gloves
Your desire for meaning in your career may lead you on a path that includes confusion, sacrifice, loss, and surrender. And, it will suck when you have those experiences. Like me, you may have seen a ton of TV and movie portrayals of negative job experiences and have had your own unpleasant career incidents. You may have also read articles about how most people are not happy in...
Read More

The Gifts of Employment Discrimination

Resume, CV, and Job Application
John Green, author of “The Fault in Our Stars” (BTW, a great movie, haven't read the book), gave a quick and insightful video overview about data on systemic racial bias in America last year. Watch John pull at his hair multiple times, while discussing the numbers in this quick video... Watch "Racism in the United States: By the Numbers" (3 mins 55 secs) The Difference Yo...
Read More

Why Professional Titles Don’t Really Matter (Anymore)

Keyboard with Like and Love Keys
What do you love? Really, my heart wants to know what you love. When you move past the obvious like "I love my family" or "I love my friends," where do you go next? Answering the question of what I love has been a bit difficult for me as long as I can remember. I say that I'm not a "true believer" in or zealot about anything. I think that my family and friends would have yo...
Read More

Be Your Own Career Private Eye

Woman smiling at interview with man
How do you know whether or not to accept or pass on an employment offer? One factor involves you asking the right questions during the interview process in order to get the insight you need about the actual work and the organization. After arriving early before an interview a couple of days ago, I got the opportunity to chat with the Director of Human Resources. She shared ...
Read More

A Passionate Professional Life Awaits You

This time last year, I was working as an independent contractor while I waited to start a career development facilitator (CDF) course that began in June. Now, I continue to work as an independent contractor, who has finally gotten clear on what passions she wants to develop in her work as a professional. I began 2009 with two undergraduate degrees, a masters degree, and a de...
Read More

The Age of the Employee is Dead. Long Live the Professional.

“Job security is gone. The driving force of a career must come from the individual.” ~Dr. Homa Bahrami, Senior Lecturer at Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, California Being an “employee” is an antiquated paradigm that we can no longer afford to maintain. With only a 30% national satisfaction rating, the role of “employee” leaves an estimated 70% of the working populatio...
Read More

Career Hitchhiking: A Professional Pastime?

How exactly does one “hitchhike” in their professional life? I'm in the process of reading any good book or article that I can find about student development, making the transition from college to work and professional development. This continuing education study comes from: 1) Realizing that most people, especially first generation professionals, can benefit from much m...
Read More

Part III: Your Internal Guidance System and Professional Development

When I first started this thread, I was feeling rather cold toward the concept of professional identity due to the pitfalls that I see and have felt in relationship with being dominantly guided by external forces. In this process of becoming clearer about my distinction between the professional sense of self and professional identity, I realized that identity can play a vital ...
Read More

Healing My Professional Sense of Self

Yesterday, I visited a local college in my area for an informational interview with the Director of Academic Advising. Working in higher education as an academic/career advisor is my short-term professional goal within an organization, while my long-term goals for work include taking on expanding supervisory/management responsibilities related to student and professional develo...
Read More